Professor, Canada Research Chair (Tier 1) in Knowledge Translation
Schools of Nursing and Public Health
University of Alberta
- Postdoctoral fellowship, Institute of Clinical Evaluative Sciences & University of Toronto (2000)
- PhD, Nursing, University of Alberta (1997)
- MN, University of Alberta (1987)
- BN, University of New Brunswick (1977)
Carole A. Estabrooks has been a member of the faculty and principal investigator of the Knowledge Utilization Studies Program since 1997. She holds a Tier I Canada Research Chair (CRC) in Knowledge Translation. She is cross appointed in the School of Public Health, University of Alberta. Dr Estabrooks supervises undergraduate and graduate students and postdoctoral fellows and teaches in the areas of knowledge translation and research design. Her research focuses on basic and applied aspects of inquiry in the knowledge translation and knowledge utilization fields. She has been the recipient of several awards and achievements among them, the J. Gordin Kaplan Award for Excellence in Research, University of Alberta, (2018), the International Nurse Researcher Hall of Fame (2018), the Order of Canada (2016), the Betty Havens Prize for Knowledge Translation in Aging (2014), the CAFA Distinguished Academic Award (2010), the Alumni Award of Distinction, University of New Brunswick (2007), the Alumni Horizon Award (2002), and career scientist awards from CIHR/MRC (Health Scholar, 2000-2005) and AHFMR (Population Health Investigator, 2000-2003). In 2007 Dr Estabrooks was elected to Fellowship in the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences (FCAHS). In 2011 she was inducted as a Fellow into the American Academy of Nurses (FAAN). She is a past member and Vice-Chair of the CIHR Institute of Aging.
Dr Estabrooks' research focuses on knowledge translation – knowledge translation interventions, the role of organizational context in facilitating knowledge translation, the effect of knowledge translation on resident/patient and provider outcomes. She also focuses increasingly on improvement methods and the sustainability, spread and scale-up of innovations (such as effective KT or QI interventions). She conducts her studies in a number of settings including acute care, home care and pediatrics but the majority of her research is conducted in residential long term care settings. She has developed the Alberta Context Tool© (ACT), currently being used in eight countries and six languages with active translation projects ongoing. The ACT measures modifiable elements of organizational context.
Active Projects: Principal Investigator
- TREC: Translating Research in Elder Care. (CIHR & Partner Funds, 2014-2020). Estabrooks CA (PI), (Co-Is): Baumbusch J, Berta W, Cranley L, Cummings GG, Dearing J, Doupe M, Ginsburg L, Hayduk L, Keefe J, McGregor M, Norton P, Profetto-McGrath J, Reid C, Senthilselvan A, Smith M, Squires J, Teare G, Thompson G, Wagg A, (KUs): Anderson C, Bloemink K, Cook H, Davidson H, Forbes H, Harriman C, Knight C, Lamont L, Mansell L, Regier C, Risling E, Schalm C, Taylor D, Trinidad G. ($9.4M).
- Sustainment, Sustainability, and Spread Study (SSaSSY). (CIHR, 2018-2021). Berta W (NPI), Estabrooks CA (Co-PI), Wagg SA (Co-PI) (Co-Is): Chamberlain SA, Clement F, Cranley L, Dopue M, Easterbrook A, Ginsburg L, Hoben M, Keefe J, Norton PG, Rappon T, Reid C, Song Y, Squires J, Anderson R, Poss J. ($967,724)
- Safer Care for Older People in (residential) Environments (SCOPE). (CIHR, 2016-2019). Wagg AS (PI), Estabrooks CA (Co-PI), (Co-Is): Andersen E, Anderson M, Anderson R, Baunbusch J, Berta WB, Clement F, Cranley L, Cummings G, Dearing J, Doupe M, Ginsburg L, Holroyd-Leduc J, Keefe J, Knopp-Sihota J, Lanham H, McGregor M, Norton P, Profetto-McGrath J, Reid C, Senthilselvan S, Smith M, Squires J, Collaborators: Anderson C, Collins M, Dewar L, Dacombe Dewar L, Forbes H, Kozak-Campbell C, Lamont L, McKenzie I, Mansell L, McLeod D, Regier C, Risling E, Taylor D, Thompson G, Trinidad G, Schultz M. ($913,577).
- Improving Nursing Home Care through Feedback On PerfoRMance Data (INFORM). (CIHR, 2015-2018). Estabrooks CA (PI), (Co-PI) Wagg A, (Co-Is): Andersen E, Anderson R, Baumbusch J, Berta W, Doupe M, Keefe J, Cranley L, Cummings G, Dearing J, Ginsburg L, Hoben M, McGregor M, Norton PG, Lanham H, Profetto-McGrath J, Reid C, Senthilselvan A, Smith M, Squires J, Teare G, Thompson G, (KUs): Anderson C, Anderson M, Bloemink K, Cook H, Collins M, Dacombe Dewar L, Davidson H, Klaasen K, Lamont L, Mansell L, McBain K, Regier C, Risling E, Schalm C, Taylor D, Trinidad G, (Collabs): Nicklin W, Schulz M. ($756,827)
- Seniors: Adding Life to Years (SALTY). (CIHR Team Grant, Late Life Issues, 2015-2020). Keefe J (PI), Estabrooks CA (Co-PI), Andrew M, Armstrong H, Armstrong P, Aubrecht K, Berta W, Bourgeault I, Braedley S, Burger F, Cloutier-Fisher D, Daly T, Gruneir A, Hoben M, Marshall E, McGregor M, Norton P, Poss J, Stajduhar K, Cook H, English P, Grabusic C, Hillmer M, Schalm C, Silvius J, Stevens S, Taylor D, Teare G, MacDonald L, Fifield H, Findlay E, Forbes F, Janz T, Kjorven M, lePair Y, Lynam C, Mann J, Nicol J, Norman K, Waugh J. (CIHR $1,397,931, Partner Funding $637,500)
- Building citizen engagement in the Translating Research in Elder Care (TREC) program. (CIHR-SPOR, 2018-2019). Gruneir A (NPI), Estabrooks CA (Co-PI), Anderson C (PKU), Mann J, (KU), (Co-Is): Chamberlain SA, Fehr P, Keefe J, Young L, (Collaborators): Bishop R, Bond G, Chipeniuk K, Doupe M, Fifield H, Ginsburg L, Hoben M, Holroyd-Leduc J, Kieloch B, Murphy R, Phillips L, Reid C, Schrader A, Wagg AS. ($106,000)
Active Projects: Co-Investigator
- Improving pain assessment in nursing home residents with dementias. (CIHR, 2018-2021). Knopp-Sihota J (NPI), Doupe M, Estabrooks CA, Hoben M, Kaasalainen S, Parker D, Poss J, Thompson G, (Collaborators): Mann J, VanWicklin C. ($577,574)
- Effective Knowledge Translation Strategies for Enhancing Impact and Improving Outcomes in Infant Pain. (CIHR, 2016-2023). Stevens B (PI), Program Experts: Barwock M, Campbell-Yeo M, Chambers C, Estabrooks CA, Gibbins S, Harrison D, Isaranuwatchai W, Le May S, Noel M, Slotta J, Stinson J, Synnes A, Willan A, Yamada J. ($3,823,346).
- Inappropriateness of health care in Canada. (CIHR, 2018-2020). Squires J (NPI), Grinspun D (Co-PI), Bornstein S, Brien S, Dobrow M, Estabrooks CA, Graham I, Greenough M, Grimshaw J, Hillmer M, Horsley T, Katz A, Krause C, Lavis J, Levinson W, Levy A, Légaré F, Majumdar S, Mancuso M, Morgan S, Nadalin Penno L, Neuner A, Teare G, Tepper J, Vandyk A, Widmeyer D, Wilson M; (Collaborators): Bell R, Maybee A, Rader T, Roberts J. ($275,400)
- Improving assessment of pain in nursing home residents with moderate to severe Alzheimer’s Disease and related dementias. (Alzheimer Society of Canada, 2015-2018). Knopp-Sihota JA (PI), (Co-Is): Estabrooks CA, Squires JE, Hoben M, Poss J. ($120,000)
- Evaluating the economic impact and quality of care of the Smart-e-Pants innovation for pressure ulcer prevention. (CIHR, 2014-2018). Mushahwar VK (NPI), (Co-PIs): Dukelow S, McCabe C, Zygun D, (Co-Is): Chan M, Estabrooks CA, Ferguson-Pell M, Ho C, Holroyd-Leduc J, Norris C, Sharma A, Stein R, Tredget E, Tsukuki R. ($750,000)