JOIN US AT THE 2024 WEST COAST CONFERENCE ON AGING
Friday May 31 & Saturday Jun 1, 2024
We acknowledge with gratitude and humility that we will be meeting on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Step into the 2024 West Coast Conference on Aging, a visionary event poised to redefine the future of seniors’ care. Here, distinguished speakers will illuminate paths towards a more equitable healthcare system for our aging population. This dynamic two-day experience brings together some of the most innovative people in healthcare–leaders, clinicians, change makers, people with lived and living experience, and policymakers—in a powerful exchange of ideas and solutions. These are the people not just part of the conversation, but the ones actively reshaping it.
As Canada prepares for a significant increase in its population of people aged 65 and above in the coming two decades, the urgency to revolutionize the healthcare system has never been more critical. Engage with thought leaders as they unveil groundbreaking insights and solutions tailored to the evolving needs of older adults, while addressing the systemic challenges that fuel inequities and health disparities.
Delve into crucial discussions, covering topics from the socioeconomic dimensions of aging, to the unique health and wellness experiences of Indigenous peoples and LGBTQIA2S+ individuals across the spectrum seniors’ care services. Discover how we can integrate and elevate person-centered care philosophies across all healthcare services, fostering a culture of inclusivity and deeper understandings.
Explore new horizons in clinical care and support services, focussing on those living with intellectual and developmental disabilities and dementia. Engage in thought-provoking conversations about creating nurturing environments for seniors, including those with histories of trauma and substance use.
This conference isn’t just an event, it’s a catalyst for meaningful change. Prepare to be invigorated with stimulating ideas and essential conversations. Engage in conversations that challenge norms and join us in our unwavering dedication to shaping a fairer, more responsive future in seniors' wellness and healthcare. Together, we'll introduce fresh perspectives and forge a path toward a more equitable future in aging care.
Key Learning Objectives
1. Understanding the Impact of Demographic Shifts on Seniors' Care:
- Explore the implications of this demographic shift on the healthcare system, focusing on challenges and opportunities.
- Gain insights into the urgency and importance of revolutionizing healthcare to meet the evolving needs of older adults.
2. Promoting Inclusivity and Address Disparities in Seniors' Care:
- Delve into discussions on socioeconomic dimensions of aging and how they contribute to health disparities.
- Explore the unique health and wellness experiences of Indigenous peoples and LGBTQIA2S+ individuals in the context of seniors' care.
- Understand strategies and solutions to address systemic challenges, fostering inclusivity and reducing health disparities in healthcare
services for seniors.
3. Elevating Person-Centered Care Philosophies and Creating Nurturing Environments:
- Explore the concept of person-centered care and its significance in providing tailored solutions for older adults. Appreciate the importance of understanding and influencing context as an essential component of achieving person-centered care.
- Examine ways to integrate and elevate person-centered care philosophies across the continuum of seniors’ care services—including a deeper understanding of the experiences who work in this sector—towards the goal of greater inclusivity and equity.
- Engage in thought-provoking conversations about creating nurturing environments for seniors, including those with intellectual and developmental disabilities, dementia, histories of trauma, and substance use.